What is Sun City?
With a population of 40,000+ Sun City is the country’s first and largest adult community designed specifically for
active retirees. Sun City is one of the cleanest cities in the country and has one of the lowest crime rates.
Where is Sun City?
Sun City is conveniently located a half-hour’s drive northwest of downtown Phoenix, Arizona. It is in the Valley of the Sun that has 312 days of sunshine each year.
Who may be a resident of Sun City?
To live here, one household member must be at least 55 years old. Other residents must be at least 19 years old. There is no age restriction on ownership.
One of the first days they were here I hear a knock at my door at 8:30 am and this is the conversation that transpired...
Old Man: "I have an EMERGENCY, our air conditioner was blowing out HOT air all night and we almost suffocated! You need to do something about this right away. And our air conditioner in the upstairs bedroom won't even work! They need to be fixed right now because it is going to get hot today!
Me: "Oh no I will send Clark over right away:" (I should tell you that the apartments just have the A/C units in the bedrooms below the windows and a portable one in the living room and I really was worried that they were broken and they would die from the heat so I sent Clark over)
Clark checks it out.... "Sir let me show you how to work these things, you see that picture of a red flame that means HEAT, you had it set on a heat setting! You need to have it pointed to the snowflake, that means COLD"
Old Man: "Oh well the one upstairs is still broken"
Clark goes upstairs to inspect..."See the plug, it needs to be plugged in to work!"
Old Man: "Oh okay, Thanks"
-In conclusion, none of his A/C units were broken and they almost "suffocated" for nothing. And you are probably thinking what I was thinking... if they are blowing out heat turn them off and open the window! The old guy didn't seem embarrassed at all that Clark made him look stupid.
Old Lady: "My tub won't drain and it is just full of water"
Me: "Okay I will send Clark over with some draino to check it out"
So I send Clark over and he takes a look....
He comes back about 1 minute later and I asked him what was wrong with it, and that it didn't take him very long to figure it out....
Clark: "They had the tub latch up so that it was stopped up, so I just flipped it down and it drained!"
Old Lady: "Oh Laura I'm glad you are home, we just got back from the grocery store and there was a HUGE spider and my dog got really close to it and she could have been bitten! Can you come spray it and kill it"
Me: (I'm thinking why can't you kill it yourself stupid lady but I don't say that) "Yes let me go grab some bug spray and I will be right over" (So I grab some spider spray stuff and head over, they show me where the spider came out of and I start spraying away!)
Old Lady: " Oh thank you so much, I was just so worried about our dogs getting too close to the spider! Do you think you could caulk the hole so we don't get anymore spiders coming out of there?"
Me: "Yes I will send Clark over as soon as he gets home"
So I go and call Clark and he just laughed that it was such a big deal about this huge spider. Even the owner Sonya laughed that they were so nervous for their dogs getting close to a spider!
So this is a long post but things like this seriously happened on a regular basis!! This next story doesn't have dialog but it is funny
So a few weekends ago Clark and I were gone because of my Emmett family reunion. It happened on a Saturday morning, and we were at my Grandma and Grandpa's for family pictures. Well when Clark gets home later that afternoon (I had gone to a movie) he is bombarded with old people.... Apparently this crazy lady who lives here had some "boyfriend" and he was at her apartment that morning, she was gone and he called the cops and said he needed to report a murder!! Well the cops come and take him into custody and drive him down to the station. Everyone by now is outside and just in a panic that this old man either killed the lady or is going to come back and kill them. Also there had been a note in her apartment that she wrote saying "Don't come looking for me on Saturday, I will be gone" So it looks a little suspicious, but it turns out he was just looney and didn't even know where he was and there was no murder. The lady was just out for the day. So the other residents didn't really like her anyway because she was a wierdo, but now they don't even want her to come back next year and they signed a petition to keep her away!! She would call people at 7 am asking them to come take her garbage out since she couldn't, she would ask people for rides random places and if they couldn't take her she would write them mean letters saying they were so rude and not being Christian like, and now she calls Sonya about 20-30 times a day.... not even kidding. In one day Sonya had about 30 missed calls from her and I have had 2 letters come to Sonya in the mail...each one was 8 pages long!! Sonya won't answer her phone any more when she calls and the answering machine always cuts her off so she just calls back and keeps talking. I'm telling you there is something in the water in Arizona because these people are crazy!
Well this is a very long post but I thought it would be funny to let all of you see what we did all summer. When the pool heater broke we would get about 15 questions everyday about when the heater would be fixed and what was taking so long. Each time I would tell them that the company that fixes it is waiting on a part and since the heater is an older model they had a hard time to find the part in the firs place. It was broken for about a week and a half and it was the end of the world for the ladies. One lady even told us that next year before they come we should make sure it is working properly so that this won't happen again!! I don't know if we will be able to make it through next summer without going crazy! Anyone want to fill in for us next year? We will be happy to give you the opportunity!

6 comments:
Happy to see you have a blog up and running. I can't believe these stories! They are so funny. Hmm, it sounds like maybe college students might be less of a pain than the Sun City old people.
I'm glad I have another blog to look at. And I can't believe I didn't hear the story of the crazy boyfriend and his crazy girlfriend!
Those are hilarious! I would be so annoyed as well, but reading your stories made me laugh! I'm glad they are gone for another year & you'll have time to prepare for the "broken A/C" & "clogged drains!"
"Claark" (Boston accent lady)
I know when I see I spider I like to make sure all fury friends are safe and away from the dangerous 2 in. spider.
Is there blogging in Sun City? I don't want you to offend any of your old tenants...they may not come back next year!
So that was why there was an ambulance and police at your apartment!! (or was this a seperate thing?) Hilarious stories! I never get tired of hearing about them. I'm excited you have a blog now. I should start one too... maybe.
Those are too funny!
I wish Clark lived next door to me.
Post a Comment