8.27.2009

I need your thoughts

It is only the 4th day of classes and I already feel slightly overwhelmed. I'm taking 15 credits, which I'm sure isn't that much to some of you, but for me it's a lot. Normally I only take 12 credits. It wouldn't be so bad if 4 of the 5 classes didn't require me to read a lot of books, write a lot of papers, and do a lot of group projects! Oh well I will get through it one way or another. So for my Family Crisis and Intervention class I'm supposed to write an outline of how I think Change occurs. Then I will need to follow that outline and try to change something about a relationship I have with another person. I am struggling with how to write down on paper how change occurs. I never really think about it, it just happens! I also need feedback from people on what they think of my ideas. So this is where you (the select few who actually look at my blog) come in! If you have any great ideas or if you have recently made a change in your life how did you go about doing it? This is what I have so far. It isn't final it is just what I've come up with in the last few minutes.

-First you need to realize a change needs to occur. Either from your own personal feelings and desires or from someone telling you that you need to change something.
-You need to have the desire and motivation to change.
-Set some goals, rules, boundaries to help with the process. This will help keep you on the right track towards changing.
-Carry out the plan. Follow your rules and boundaries. Achieve the goals.
-Have a support system to encourage and help you
-Assess the outcome. Was there change? Did it go as you had planned. Was the change realistic and attainable?

Okay so I obviously didn't write it in a professional way, but you get the idea of what I've come up with. Do you think I left anything out? Does it even make sense? HELP!! Just leave a short comment giving me some feedback. I would really appreciate it.

Nothing else exciting has happened in my life since the last time I blogged. Maybe after Labor Day I will have something fun to write about with pictures! Oh I did go see the movie Post Grad with my 2 best friends Janna and Jennifer! It was fun seeing them, but the movie was a little lame. I wouldn't recommend paying $8 to see it. Rent it at Red Box if you feel the need to see it.

7 comments:

Carly said...

I saw the movie too. Luckily a matinee. Definately a red boxer. And Change... hmmm... all I have to say is I am so glad Im not going to school this semester. 15 credits really is a lot. But you will be fine! I think what you have so far is great. Thats usually how I go about changing things honestly.

jenn + michael said...

Agreed on the movie- I have discovered that change sometimes makes me a little stressed and sometimes I love it. I think the change you control comes from you seeing a need for something different or a problem that needs solving. And then I agree with the process that you said. It all depends on our choices along the way. If we make a choice not to carry out the plan a different kind of change happens. Does that make sense? Sounds like I'm glad that I have graduated!

Anonymous said...

Based on my wide range of no experience it sounds like you have covered all of the bases that I could think of. I don't have any idea what resources you have to "beef up" your assumptions but good luck.

LauraP said...

Thanks for your comments! I'm turning in the paper tomorrow morning, then I will have to use all the thoughts and ideas and actually change something! We will see how that goes :)

falslev family said...

sounds like you've already turned in your paper... You really did have the best approach to "change". I could tell you all the things I need to change about my life and how I "plan to do it" but it doesn't mean it will actually happen. Just good intentions! I really need to be more disciplined if I'm going to change...

Megan Loves Life said...

Get this book at the library and then just read the introduction. I just started reading it and it's sounds like what you need! The Seven Habits Of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey. He talks about 3 elements, according to natural laws and principles, that you must have to make any kind of change. It's a great book!

Megan Loves Life said...

...And then I just read that your paper was due today so I didn't get to you in time! Laura, did you procrastinate?? Maybe that's what you should change... Just kidding!! I feel like I'm constantly going through this cycle and trying to change things in my life. A good recipe for change would help everyone!!