9.02.2009

Starfish on the sand

I've had work trainings the past couple of weeks and on Monday it was the executive director's (the boss lady) turn to train us and give us information. She showed us a DVD she made that they show at one of their fundraising dinners, and it tells about what we do at the center. So it starts with the story of a little girl on the beach with her mom and they see thousands of starfish washed up on the shore. The girl starts to throw them back into the ocean. The mom asks her what she is doing and the girl says she is trying to save the starfish. Well the mom says, "it doesn't matter honey there is no way you will be able to save all of them, it won't make a difference". The little girl looks down at the starfish in her hand and throws it into the ocean and says "Well it made a difference to that one". As the story is being shown on the screen they have music along with it. Then it proceeds to show the cutest pictures of little kids, at this point I'm getting a warm fuzzy feeling and getting a little misty eyed. Then it shows news headlines from Cache Valley of child abuse cases. One said "3 and 5 year old girls prostituted by parents for drug money" "Young child held in boiling water by mother" and the list went on. So I am trying to hold back tears at this point. Then it says how our center has helped so many thousands of families and children. How we are helping all of those "starfish" and how what we do matters and we make a difference for "that one" child or "that one" mom or dad. Oh my goodness I was seriously holding back my tears. I'm probably not explaining it very well, but anything with inspiring music, sad stories about kids, and how what I'm doing at work everyday helps them will make me cry! My boss did start crying, it was cute! She is so committed to the center and helping every single person that walks through our doors. I'm really happy with my job, and I feel so blessed to be able to work there. Anyway I feel like I'm rambling. But one of the reasons I'm talking about this is because our center runs solely on grants and donations, but mainly donations. We get a lot of support from the community along with local law enforcement and firefighters and they have made a cookbook with a ton of recipes in it for us to sell as a fundraiser. So If any of you feel like you need a cookbook either for yourself or as a gift let me know!! It is going to a great cause, plus we need money so that I can have a job! They are $15 for one or $25 for two. I was browsing through it and it has a lot of recipes that sound delicious and look way easy to make! It is 286 pages of goodness. They have Appetizers, Entrees, Breads, Sweets, Dips & Salsa, Sides, Specialty Drinks, Soups, Salads, Breakfast Items, Marinades & Sauces, and Snacks! It would be a great wedding gift or even a Christmas gift! I will most likely buy one for myself since I've found some pretty tastey looking recipes.

"guns & hoses" meaning police and firefighters

Also Saturday Sept. 12 they are having a softball game Law Enforcement vs. Firefighters to raise money for us! You can buy the cookbooks there too!

8 comments:

A and M said...

Very sweet! Thank you for sharing that, I definitely would have been crying as well.

We had some kids at our school that weren't "special needs" but had Oppositional Defiant Disorder & were in & out of foster care & in abused families. One little boy would come to school with bruises, etc. & the staff had to call the police a few times to report it! No wonder he was ODD - he never had anyone in his life show him kindness or love other than abuse.

Mark me down for 2 cookbooks & I can send you money. Just bring them if you come & visit in Oct.

Anonymous said...

You convinced us. How do we get the book.

Brian said...

I had a companion tell that starfish story to just about everyone we came in contact with.

Megan Loves Life said...

I was nearly crying just reading that! You explained it very well. That's heartbreaking! But happy too because of your center. Good for you!

jenn + michael said...

Well, you just about made me cry telling that story and I've heard that dang starfish story a dozen times before. Oh boy!

YPR said...

Well done. Our USU ward is "adopting" the Child and Family Support Center as our year-long service project. We showed the video you described to our combined RS/P last week and it had an immediate effect. A number of students want to know when we can get started.

adrienne said...

Well I have goose bumps and tears in my eyes right now! Good thing I am the only one here at work.

Buy me a cookbook and I will transfer you the money!

chad said...

Great post Laura. Part of my research at BYU includes working with a group of students who help do research on the status of women world wide. They write a blog (http://www.womanstats.org/blog.html)that documents similar accounts of the many injustices afflicting women and children around the world. Your post would be a great addition. Keep up the good work.