12.18.2009

Tis the Season

At work tonight I asked a little girl what she wanted for Christmas.... she said a stuffed animal. That was it. She didn't have this long list that went on for pages that included expensive items. Just a simple stuffed animal and she didn't even care what kind. Any kind would make her happy! I thought it was so sweet. Some of the kids I work with are so humble, and when I ask them what they want for Christmas it is always just one item and its simple like a stuffed animal or a hot wheels car.
We have had so many people in the community wanting to donate gifts for needy families. We had a dad come pick up the gifts someone bought for his family. As we opened the door to the room where the gifts were, he was overwhelmed. He didn't think they would receive so much. After they were loaded in his car he started crying, and was so grateful for the generosity towards his family. I love this time of year, because people are so generous and giving. It really gives us a chance to serve others, and become more like Christ. Which is the real reason for Christmas anyway. I grew up in a home where we definitely were not spoiled, but we always had the coolest toys. But will be forever grateful to my parents for not giving us everything we asked for and not making Christmas just about the presents. I hope everyone is having a wonderful Holiday and finding ways to serve others.

MERRY CHRISTMAS (in exactly one week, woo hoo!)

4 comments:

A and M said...

Thank you for this post. I want to go out and buy that little girl the best stuffed animal I can find!

Anonymous said...

You definitely have found the true meaning of the Christmas sprit. The two Logan Rotary clubs went together to provide gifts for about 160 in the Head Start program in the valley and they really appreciated the efforts.

adrienne said...

Thanks Laura...I'm at work tearing up right now because I too want to buy that little girl the biggest stuffed animal I can find! It was fun buying for those two families on Saturday! I always wish we could get them more.

Lindee said...

if there was a like button for blogger i would've selected it! isn't it so cool working there? especially in december? last year we had shelter on christmas eve...and wow. we had a family donate a huge christmas for those kids. that was definitely a tearjerker! i love that place!