3.24.2011

Sickness

Can I just say that I hate being sick.  I'm not sick very often, but when I do get sick it is always at the worse time.  
Two years ago during Spring Break we went to Japan (thankfully the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear meltdown wasn't 2 years earlier) and I had a bad cold before we left and it turned into an ear infection and annoying cough/runny nose.  I was sick the whole time we were there.  It really put a damper on our awesome vacation to Japan.    
Last April my Grandpa and Grandma Allred had their 50 wedding anniversary so my family planned a big party for them and we all got to stay in this nice big house in Salt Lake together.  The night before the party I started throwing up and had the flu.  So I had to miss the party and stay in bed.  It was no fun.  
And here we are in present day and I am sick with Bronchitis.  But that's not all, I also passed out twice in the shower on Monday morning.  Let me back up.... I was supposed to be at a training for work this whole week.  Last Friday I started feeling sick and started with a cough.  Saturday I had a headache/body aches with a cough.  Sunday I had all of that but I was also congested.  We were leaving Sunday night at 7pm and staying in the Hotel because the training started at 8:30 in the morning and we didn't want to leave Logan that early. I felt sick, but I thought it was just a cold and that I could handle it.  A couple of hours before we left my Grandma took my temperature and it was at 102 degrees.  I probably shouldn't have gone, but my Step Mom and Grandma ran to Albertson's and got me some Emergence-C and we thought that would help my "cold".  Well Monday morning I wake up at 7am and get in the shower.  I'm almost finished when I get this feeling like I'm going to throw up.  I felt all clammy and I started to get dizzy.  I should have just gotten out of the shower, but I had conditioner in my hair and I thought I could hurry and rinse it out.  I lean up against the wall of the shower for a second and next thing I know I'm on the floor of the tub and my head is right next to the faucet (thankfully I didn't hit my head or neck on anything and hurt myself).  I hear my co-worker knocking on the door and asking me if I'm alright.  Apparently she heard my loud bang and woke right up!  I remember saying "I think I passed out" but I'm not sure how loud I actually said it.  She was asking me if I could get a towel and open the door and she could help me out.  So I stand up and the next thing I now I'm on the floor of the tub AGAIN!  So my coworker is still knocking and yelling my name.  I say again "I think I keep passing out".  I get the water turned off and a towel wrapped around me.  She helps me out and I get dressed then I lay down.  It was so weird because I've never passed out before.   I called Clark and he so lovingly drove down from Logan and picked me up.  While he was driving down he called his Mom and she made me a Doctor's appointment in Kaysville.  That is when I learned I had Bronchitis, caused by a bacterial infection and he thought I passed out because I was dehydrated.  My pulse was fast and my blood pressure was on the high side.  I thought I was drinking SO much water.  I have a 24 oz water bottle that I had at least filled up 3 times on Sunday and this was Monday morning so I obviously didn't drink much during the night.  But apparently when you are sick you need 1 gallon of liquids and 1/3 of them should be something with electrolytes.  So I'm finally starting to feel a little better.  I can't stop coughing which makes me really tired, but other than that I feel a lot better than I did.  Since I missed my training I will have to go back down in April.  Let's hope I don't get sick again!

3 comments:

jenn + michael said...

I'm so glad you are still alive! Come to AZ. That will make you better.

Janna said...

I'm glad you survived the shower, but I'm so sorry you're sick!

A and M said...

Poor Laura Lou. You do seem to get sick at inconvenient times!
I remember passing out 2x's in a row like that while Adam was in the shower. The 2nd time it happened Adam said I was flat on my face convulsing a little. I wasn't sick but everyone asked if I was pregnant...should I do the same to you?