6.15.2009

Circuit Breakers 101


I'm no electrician but when I go to turn on my lights and I hear a popping noise and nothing works I go check the breaker box. I'm pretty sure I learned what a breaker box was when I was 10, and I new how to flip the switches. So wouldn't you think that a grown man of 70+ years of age would know what this contraption was? You would think, but you are forgetting where this man lives during the summer. So of course he doesn't know what to do when his bedroom lights make a loud noise and turn off and his alarm clock doesn't work either. So I tell him, I'm sure it is just your breaker box and you blew a fuse, he looks puzzled and says I wouldn't even know how to fix that. I said it is that box down in your kitchen, and he says Oh that panel? I say yes flip the switch that is in an off position and your lights and alarm clock should work. Then he asks about his light bulbs that exploded.... I say well you are responsible for your own light bulbs, we don't provide that for you. Well he can't reach them, and I understand that, I don't want them falling just to put in a light bulb. So I tell him Clark can come do it. When I told Clark the story he said I don't think the light bulbs exploded, when you blow a fuse it makes a loud noise, which probably scared the poor guy and he thought they exploded. I have yet to find out if the light bulbs actually did explode!
Maybe I need to go label all of the switches for him and give him a quick lesson on circuit breakers or as he called it "that panel"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't take care of all of the potential problems or else you won't have any interesting stories to post on the blog for the rest of the summer. Thanks for the chuckle and smile - and, keep up the good work.

Jake said...

You need to write a book of your experiences with the Snowbirds. It would be hilarious (and possibly very therapeutic).

brooke said...

haha i love all of your stories about "the old folks"! sounds like you have quite the entertaining job!