I haven't posted any funny stories about the "Olds" lately. It is mostly because there hasn't been any outlandish complaints or issues. Yes there are a few comical things here and there, but nothing that I felt the need to blog about.
We did have a lady who was very very concerned that her fridge wasn't getting cold enough and when you turned it up it would be too cold and freeze some things. I understand that you want a fridge that is working properly, but she was annoying about it. Clark went and checked it and turned up the fridge thermostat and then cleaned the coils and told her to wait 24 hours for an improvement. Three hours later she left a note on our door that said "there is no change to the fridge temperature please call a repair man FIRST thing in the morning". FIRST was in capitals and underlined! So Clark called Mr. Appliance and he told us the part that was needed was probably not in stock so we just decided to buy her a new fridge. 20 minutes after Clark and his Dad put the fridge in she was "asking" if the freezer had a different shelf. Apparently the one it came with wasn't satisfactory. Clark told her nope sorry and walked away! Some people are never satisfied.
Today we were out in the courtyard weeding and cleaning things up, and can I just say that I HATE weeding with a passion. Why do these little things exist? I'm sure it is to drive me crazy and break my back! I had one of the tenants come up to me and ask if Clark could come change the battery in their smoke alarm because it is not working and "this is something that needs to be replaced immediately since it is a safety issue". I told him Clark was helping another tenant and he would come change it as soon as he could. 10 minutes later the man comes up to me and just asks me for a battery and he would change it himself. Apparently he was very worried that his apartment would catch on fire in the 20 minutes that his battery was not working! So I gave him one and he changed it. At least he is able to change a battery... most people here wouldn't even do that.
Also one of the ladies here calls me Linda. I responded the first time she called me that because I wasn't sure if she said Linda or Laura since I just heard the L sound. Now she thinks that's my name! Oh and I think the guy asking for a battery called me Lori or maybe it was Lora but either way my name is LAURA with an "ahh" sound not an "o" sound. The "Olds" don't even know my name. After all I've done for them.... Weeding the flower beds so they look nice, cleaning up the Social Center so they can play games and sew at their hearts desire, cleaning the laundry room so they can do laundry in a clean place, pretending that I like their dogs and cats, and I'm also a lot nicer to them than Clark is. And yet they still don't know my name. The students never really knew me either. They all knew Clark because he comes into the apartments and fixes things. I'm just the "mean landlord" that collects rent and gives them warning letters when they are breaking the rules or are late on rent. They would all say hi to Clark and give him "high fives" or "the rock" and all I got was a half smile like they recognized me from somewhere but they just can't put their finger on it. I guess I need to get out more and mingle with the tenants!
Clark and I took a quick break today and went to the pool for literally 1.5 hours... while we were gone a lady literally called 4 times asking for a new vacuum bag. We can't leave for two hours without something "serious" happening.
I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to last in this place. We better find a way to make lots of money so we can afford some rent and utilities again.
AND 4 years ago today Clark was on his way to Berlin, Germany for the World Cup Final between France and Italy! He is one lucky guy. Too bad we are not in South Africa for the final game this Sunday Netherlands vs Spain. No matter who wins, it will be a team who has never won a World Cup Championship before! So it should be good either way!
Great Plains Road Trip
2 months ago

8 comments:
Wowzers Lou! I would probably snap at some point if I had all those "serious" issues to deal with :)
It look like you better get out ther and start mingling with them at water aerobics or sewing!
"Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?" sounds kind of familiar. Any other problems that can't be solved Kerep up the good work - we enjoy your reports on the current status of the "Olds."
Just keep going, Linda. I believe in you! I wish I could tell you that it was cooling down in their home state and you could send them back early, but it's not looking promising.
Just so you know. because of you, I am so conscientious now when I meet people named Laura or Lauren about making sure I say it the way that want. And when they tell me they respond to Lora or Laura, I get bugged.
PS I actually wrote in my blog a couple times. Thebronsonsblog.blogspot. Yay.
So because of you, I am always very conscientious about when I meet people named Laura or Lauren. I always make sure I say it how they want and it really bugs me when they say it doesn't matter.
PS, I actually wrote some stuff on my blog. Thebronsonsblog.blogspot. Yay.
I like that this posted twice because the first time it said it didn't post and now I feel dumb. So I'll post another comment.
Ah, the joys of being a slumlord! I'll bookmark this post and read it whenever I'm tempted to buy some rental property...
Post a Comment