The Herald Journal (Cache Valley's Newspaper) is doing a 4-part series to create awareness about sexual abuse. My boss, the director of the Child and Family Support Center here in Logan had the idea. Apparently one day while looking on Amazon.com she came across a book called "how to be a pedophile". She was outraged that such a book even existed. So she decided to try and create an awareness (at least here in Cache Valley) about the sad problem of sexual abuse. The first article was about sex offenders here in the local jail. The second article was a few personal stories of victims and the third article (click to read) is about prevention and therapy for victims. The reporter was able to sit in on a presentation of Good Touch, Bad Touch and Hilary who is my supervisor over GTBT is the one in the picture and the one he interviewed. She is so awesome at what she does. I hope I present as well as she does. So if you wondered what GTBT is when I've blogged about it before, this article explains it a little bit.
And yes, I use the giant storybook about my friend Jonathan and he helps us learn the 5 body safety rules for keeping our body's safe and knowing what to do with the problem of sexual abuse! It's great. We have the kids shout "Hey, It's My Body!" I love it. If you are a parent and your child ever has the opportunity to have listen to a Good Touch Bad Touch presentation at school, let them stay and hear it. I'm always so sad to see a few kids each time I present being sent to read a book at the office because their parents don't want them to be there. We also teach the older children about stranger danger and Internet safety rules. All the information is so important for children to hear!
1.23.2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I have been reading the articles each week and love that they are showing awareness in Cache Valley! I was hoping that there would be a picture of you or at least a quote on GTBT.
Seriously. Can you imagine a publishing company paying someone who wrote that how to book?! I'm glad you have that job that definitely helps people.
Post a Comment