When we were first married we lived in a two bedroom one bathroom apartment. It was actually a good size and had a pretty big living room and kitchen. It even had a hall closet and a big linen closet in the bathroom {I miss closet space}. However we did not have any sort of A/C. Not even a swamp cooler or wall units. NOTHING. It was a LONG summer. But we only paid $425 a month! It was a killer deal.
Now we live rent and utility free! It is AWESOME. However, there are a few (well maybe many) drawbacks. We are the on-site managers of an apartment complex, we basically "babysit" the students during fall and spring semester and then we "babysit" the Olds during the summer {If you aren't sure what I'm talking about when I say "Olds" click here here and here for more information. Beware you will be super jealous of our job!} I mean we can't complain {but I often do anyway} because we don't pay anything to live here, we really have nice freedom and can take time off whenever we need, and we have two bedrooms and 1.5 baths. Although our apartment has lovely "student housing" blue carpets and blue couches our apartment isn't bad. We were able to paint it and add crown molding. I also invested in couch covers! But I feel like after almost 2 1/2 years we are feeling the itch to be done {who am I kidding we felt that itch about 2 months after we started}.
I've been secretly searching on-line for apartments for rent in Logan. I have not been impressed. Any two bedroom apartment is at least $480/month and does not include utilities, which can be over $100 a month just for heat in the winter. I know $480 sounds cheap but not when Clark and I both make very little an hour and we work less than 25 hours a week and go to school {we are very grateful for our "secret" jobs}. Even the married student housing on campus is ridiculous. The apartments are not that nice and have cinder block walls painted white. The cheapest one is $486 for 2 bedrooms and you pay your own electric and heat. The "townhouse" style is $600 month. What married students can pay $600 month plus pay for electric and heat! I mean maybe people do it, but we can't afford that yet. Clark still has until December 2011 until he is done. I cannot last that long being an apartment manager. I think we will go crazy. Case in point: A man just knocked on our door at 9:10 pm to complain and remind us that his television is too dark and they can hardly see it. Clark went over the other day and turned up the brightness and said that it was light enough to see. Yes it probably isn't perfect, but it is watchable. Although Clark already went over and fixed it the best he could, this man felt the need to bug us at 9 at night when we are trying to enjoy our evening. It is like they think we have nothing else going on and that the owner has an endless amount of cash to buy them all brand new TVs, mattresses, and refrigerators. He even told us that it was too dark last summer but he chose not to tell us {he says this like we should be grateful} and that he was hoping it would be fixed this summer. Well if you don't tell us something is wrong, and the students never thought anything was wrong, then how do we magically know your TV is "too dark" to watch. Ahhh I wish we could live in peace! Oh AND the old ladies are in a panic because their plastic bin of party decorations and plastic/paper kitchenware for their BBQ's is missing. Apparently it was my job to store their bin of goods. But at the end of the summer last year, I was never informed of such a bin and I do not have it. They still don't believe me and keep asking us to double check for it! No matter how many times I look I know I won't find it, because I know it isn't anywhere to be found. They left a note in our box a few hours ago asking for it again.... I almost screamed!
I dream about living in a normal apartment, living a normal life where every 10 minutes someone isn't knocking on our door. But I guess we will continue to tough it out until we can find something more affordable or we get high paying jobs in Logan {I'm not holding my breath}.
What is a good blog post without pictures. I have also been looking for fun fabric to make my own pillows {yes, I am trying to learn to sew since I have a sewing machine that has been used once}. So I was looking on etsy and I came across a few quilts that I loved. They had the funnest colors. I want to find some cute fabric with the same colors to turn into lovely throw pillows!
I just love the yellows, blues, greens, with the browns and oranges!
I really just liked this one for a baby room {in the future}! But I do love gray and yellow.
I also want to do this to a cardigan! How cute is that.

I found this here




6 comments:
Your job with the "olds" kind of reminds me of what can happen as a R.S. president!
If we are up to it we could travel to LA for fun fabrics. We need some new pillows too & I never see anything I like to buy.
What...you weren't aware that you were suppose to keep track of the party decorations?! Hello...how are they suppose to have their fun BBQ parties now?
Apartment hunting IS frustrating! Our 2 bdrm. on-campus housing is a little over $600... not even a townhouse style. Absolutely ridiculous. Advice from us is to pray really hard and something will turn up that you will feel good about. :)
If ou hang on long enough, things do get better but, unfortunately, not perfect. Our oly advice is to hang on as long a youcan and when you have to make a change. try to do what is best for the two of you. Do you want us to start complaining to you about life in general or should we keep our "problems" to ourselves?
paying rent is frustrating. We pay 600 plus utilities. But the most expensive heating bill we had in a month was 40 dollars. and electric is usually 25...I don't know if it's a lot different in Logan though. Best of luck!
thanks for linking us on your side bar!!! i totally DIE over that... you are the first person (that we know of) to do that so a HUGE thank you!
LOVE the yellow and gray as well... sophie and i LOVE that color combo!
~selina
sisters4saymoreismore.blogspot.com
Post a Comment